A Walled Garden
By 1763 a walled garden had been created, incorporating walls from an earlier enclosed orchard. Records from 1763 also described a Wilderness garden, later incorporated into a Lawns and Walks garden. Today’s Lime Avenue and associated arboretum are situated on the part of the land occupied by this garden.
Further improvements to the gardens between the wars included the creation of a woodland pool and associated rockery. Many notable trees growing today were planted at this time.